Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Grocery Store and Habitual Food

I believe that my family doesn’t do a great job at keeping vegetables in the house to eat. Even though some of the time I have access to fruits and veggies, it is very rarely that I do. I feel that most of my food consumption is mostly meats, cheese, and other junk food. I sometimes consume grains, fruits, and veggies in a typical week outside of home when I’m eating my out-lunch at school. Such as healthy Subway Sandwiches or heroes from the corner-store where I can get some of my favorite heroes such as, Turkey with American Cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Mayo. But at home I rarely consume greens, fruits, grains, or etc.
I have noticed that supermarkets now a day are prioritizing their stock by trying to actually get the more organic and healthier things instead of filling the shelves up with all the crappy junk food we Americans are so accustomed to eating. But now a day the U.S is opening its eyes to healthier foods due to there being a high increase in overweight people. But what I have noticed inside my supermarket is that the stock people organized it so that all the healthy, fresh, and organic type foods are on the perimeters of the store. Meaning all the fruits and veggies are on the left hand wall, meats are straight in the back, and the milk/ dairy products on the right hand side. With all the processed and artificial junk crap in the center of the store. Now I don’t know if this is just coincidental organization or this is trying to send people a message?
I think the message it is trying to send is how a lot of people’s favorite snacks and meals are the junk crap which we consistently consume. While these better and healthier foods are on the perimeter of our liking or on the amount we would like to consume them. Therefore all the junk is in the center of our consumption “circle,” where the healthy foods are on the perimeter of it like in the perimeter of the supermarket. Then maybe a supermarket maybe organized by the amounts of certain types of things they want people to consume. If the healthy stuff is in the center as the majority of their stock then the supermarket wants you to consume healthy food.

No comments: